Guatemala City, July 9 (RHC)-- In Guatemala, government-backed experts have declared former dictator Efraín Ríos Montt mentally incompetent to stand trial for genocide. The National Institute of Forensic Sciences says Ríos Montt, who is 89, cannot understand the charges against him.
The declaration could potentially derail attempts to retry Ríos Montt for overseeing the killings of nearly 2,000 Ixil Mayans under his rule in the 1980s.
Ríos Montt was found guilty in 2013, but a court annulled his 80-year sentence less than two weeks later.
- Some 60 Countries to Attend Havana's International Trade Fair FIHAV
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Cuba Helps Caribbean States Recover from Devastation Caused by Powerful Hurricanes
- RHC's Segment 'The Real Story'
- RHC's Interview with Patrick Manteiga, Editor and Publisher of La Gaceta Newspaper in Tampa
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4037
- today: 4635
- online: 207
- total: 3861496