Guatemala City, July 9 (RHC)-- In Guatemala, government-backed experts have declared former dictator Efraín Ríos Montt mentally incompetent to stand trial for genocide. The National Institute of Forensic Sciences says Ríos Montt, who is 89, cannot understand the charges against him.
The declaration could potentially derail attempts to retry Ríos Montt for overseeing the killings of nearly 2,000 Ixil Mayans under his rule in the 1980s.
Ríos Montt was found guilty in 2013, but a court annulled his 80-year sentence less than two weeks later.
- Cuba denounces maneuvers in Peru
- Cuban civil society thinks about America
- Cuban civil society debates agenda of upcoming Summit of the Americas
- Kenyan business executive says Cuba is a great place
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- Manipulated minds can equal secured votes
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4099
- today: 3298
- online: 137
- total: 4489150