Guatemala City, July 9 (RHC)-- In Guatemala, government-backed experts have declared former dictator Efraín Ríos Montt mentally incompetent to stand trial for genocide. The National Institute of Forensic Sciences says Ríos Montt, who is 89, cannot understand the charges against him.
The declaration could potentially derail attempts to retry Ríos Montt for overseeing the killings of nearly 2,000 Ixil Mayans under his rule in the 1980s.
Ríos Montt was found guilty in 2013, but a court annulled his 80-year sentence less than two weeks later.
- Sao Paulo Forum pledges regional unity and integration
- Dilma Rousseff: Lula is our hope
- Trump announces that he will seek re-election
- Fidel Castro: Neoliberalism is nobody's alternative
- Ralph Gonsalves urges regional unity toward peace and sustainable development
- RHC's Mailbag Show
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4070
- today: 2234
- online: 140
- total: 4934007