London, September 8 (RHC)-- Sixteen-year-old Tasneem Kabir was on her way to college in London when she became the target of an unprovoked attack by a Nigerian-born man identified as Michael Ayoade, probably because of her hijab. She was knocked unconscious by the attack, which also left her with a smashed lip and a number of broken teeth.
The attack on the young girl wearing Islamic hijab took place in east London’s Plaistow, Newham Street. Ayoade was arrested by the police after the CCTV footage of the shocking attack was released.
The footage shows the 34-year-old attacker following Tasneem for around 800 meters before he knocks her to the ground and flees the scene, the Daily Mail reported on Monday.
The assault is just one example of Islamophobic attacks in London that -- according to police figures -- have risen sharply since a year ago. Women wearing hijab are the main target of such attacks. Over the last 12 months, 816 attacks were reported on Muslims, almost twice as the figure for the year before.
The actual number of attacks is thought to be much higher as many victims are fearful to report the incidents.
- Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel receives WHO and PAHO directors
- U.S. activist: Unity, the most important five-letter word in the Cuban Revolution
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- WHO director-general: Cuba is an example for many countries
- Evo Morales ratifies Bolivia's support for Cuba
- Bolivian president Evo Morales begins official visit
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4121
- today: 1789
- online: 134
- total: 4610715