Rio de Janeiro, December 6 (RHC) -- An Argentinian lawyer has been identified as the six millionth foreign visitor to Brazil this year, marking a tourism record for the country, state-run Brazilian Tourism Company Embratur announced on Thursday.
Argentine Nadia Panis, who flew from Buenos Aires to Rio, received a special welcome with music and was presented with an all-expenses-paid weekend at a seaside resort in the city.
Brazil has registered more than 5 million international visitors every year since 2005, but has never surpassed the 6 million mark until now.
Embratur attributed the record number mainly to large-scale events, such as the 2014 FIFA World Cup, 2016 Olympic Games and Catholic World Youth Day.
South American travelers account for the largest portion of the group, followed by Europeans, Americans, Asians, Africans, and Australians.
- RHC's Arts Roundup August 20
- RHC's sports report TIME OUT August 20
- RHC's national and international news stories August 20
- RHC's national and international news stories August 19
- RHC's Arts Roundup August 19
- RHC's national and international news stories August 17
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3443
- today: 2502
- online: 162
- total: 6267075