Los Angeles, December 24 (RHC)-- In the U.S. state of California, officials are warning of ecological disaster as a runaway natural gas leak from a storage facility in the hills above Los Angeles continues to emit methane gas. Some 150 million pounds of methane have escaped so far.
Methane is a powerful greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming. Tim O’Connor with the Environmental Defense Fund said: "It is one of the biggest leaks we’ve ever seen reported. It's coming out with force, in incredible volumes. And it is absolutely uncontained."
The breach has forced the evacuation of 1,700 homes and two schools.
- 6th Caricom-Cuba Summit Reaffirms Latin America and Caribbean as 'Zone of Peace'
- CARICOM and Cuba Leaders Renew Commitment to Advancing Sustainable Regional Development
- RHC's Music Program 'From Havana' (Havana sings to Sabina)
- RHC's Weekly Review
- RHC's Weekly Segment 'Breakthrough'
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4242
- today: 655
- online: 173
- total: 4083378