Berlin, February 17 (RHC)-- An artist critical of the EU’s response to the ongoing refugee crisis has covered a famous concert house in Berlin with 14,000 lifejackets discarded by seekers on the Greek island of Lesbos.
According to Chinese artist and activist Ai Weiwei, each jacket wrapped around the columns of the Berlin’s Konzerthaus symbolizes the single life of a refugee who stepped upon the shores of Lesbos with the hopes of a new beginning.
The installation took roughly a month to prepare and was unveiled in coordination with the Cinema for Peace 2016 gala held inside the building.
- Latin America: are the poor remaining poor?
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel receives WHO and PAHO directors
- U.S. activist: Unity, the most important five-letter word in the Cuban Revolution
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- WHO director-general: Cuba is an example for many countries
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4121
- today: 3236
- online: 109
- total: 4612162