Washington, Feb 24 (RHC) U.S. lawyer Thomas B. Wilner says that President Barack Obama has the power to close the prison at the illegal base the US Government runs in the Eastern Cuban territory of Guantánamo, and transfer the inmates to the US, even if Congress objects.
In an interview released on Cubadebate web page, Wilner -who has worked with cases involving the prisoners at the enclave- said he is however NOT sure that Obama will use these powers for such an end, because he will establish a precedent that other presidents from other political parties could use for other purposes, like restoring torture, as Republican candidate Donald Trump now proposes.
The head of International Trade and Government Relationship at the law firm of Shearman & Sterling also voiced uncertainty that the US Congress will give the green light to transferring the prisoners from Guantánamo to the United States, adding that Obama could introduce other measures via executive action, which would only be reasonable if he first tries to convince U.S. Legislators into closing the prison.
- Cuba pledges continued use of ITs for social justice goals
- RHC's Music Program 'From Havana' (Duo Buena Fe)
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Brazilians demand full investigation of Marielle Franco's assassination
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- Cuban leader congratulates Putin on winning presidential election
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3933
- today: 2246
- online: 135
- total: 4475926