Quito, May 20 (RHC-Xinhua)-- Ecuador's President Rafael Correa is visiting the earthquake-stricken coastal provinces of Esmeraldas and Manabi. These two provinces were the most affected by the April 16 earthquake that measured 7.8 degrees on the Richter scale and killed at least 661 people.
Through his official Twitter account, the Ecuadorian president said Esmeraldas was the epicentre of two 6.8-magnitude aftershocks on Wednesday, the strongest tremors since the devastating earthquake over one month ago. According to the latest figures, the two powerful quakes killed one person and wounded 85 others.
The South American country's Geophysical Institute announced that up until now, 1,564 aftershocks have been registered since April's quake.
- RHC's national and international news stories August 17
- RHC's national and international news stories August-16
- RHC's Arts Roundup August 15
- RHC's national and international news stories August 15
- RHC's sports report TIME OUT August 15
- RHC's national and international news stories August-14
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2836
- today: 1322
- online: 144
- total: 6262452