Buenos Aires, May 23 (RHC)-- A military delegation sent to Washington by Argentinean President Mauricio Macri has signed an agreement on military cooperation with the United States, which entails the establishment of a U.S. military base in Ushuaia, the southernmost tip of the South American nation.
Ushuaia is the capital of Tierra del Fuego, whose boundaries extend to Antarctica. The Argentinean government has justified the installation by saying scientific work" will be performed there.
Earlier this week, Deputy Defense Minister Angel Tello began a five-day visit to the U.S. aimed at reestablishing bilateral defense relations between the two countries after a freeze in military ties in recent years.
Among the plans reportedly being discussed is the negotiation of another military base in Argentina's Misiones Province, located in the northeastern corner of the country at the border between Paraguay and Brazil.
- RHC´s English language broadcast for July 07, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing update for July 6, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for July 06, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for July 05, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing update for July 4, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for July 04, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5999
- today: 5140
- online: 164
- total: 8281970