Reykjavik, July 4 (RHC)-- Iceland’s capital has announced that it will boycott all Israeli products until Palestine is freed from occupation.
On Sunday, Reykjavik’s municipality voted for the boycott, and promised to continue the embargo “as long as the occupation of Palestinian territories continues.”
The vote is part of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Tel Aviv, which was initiated in 2005 by over 170 Palestinian organizations that were pushing for “various forms of boycott against Israel until it meets its obligations under international law.”
Since then, thousands of volunteers worldwide have joined the BDS to help promote the Palestinian cause. Iceland’s move was severely condemned by Israel’s Foreign Ministry, which released a statement claiming that it was unjustified.
The move comes as academics and activists from across the globe are gearing up for a gathering in Tunisia to discuss further developing the BDS movement.
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 30 , 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 29 , 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 28 , 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 28, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 27, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 27 , 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 6221
- today: 5674
- online: 208
- total: 8051882