Dallas, July 8 (RHC)-- In the U.S. city of Dallas, Texas, five police officers have been shot dead and six others wounded in one of the deadliest attacks on police in U.S. history.
The police were patrolling a demonstration in downtown Dallas against the recent police shootings of Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, Minnesota. Videos of the two African-American men being killed by police have sparked protests across the nation.
Authorities in Dallas described Thursday’s assault as a planned ambush. The gunfire erupted at around 8:45 p.m. local time just as the peaceful protest was wrapping up. Four of the slain officers worked for the Dallas Police Department, the fifth was part of the Dallas Area Rapid Transit force. At least one protester was injured in the shooting.
One of the suspected snipers was reportedly killed by police in an exchange of gunfire. Three other people have been taken into custody.
- COVID-19 Media Briefing for June 30, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 30, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 29, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing for June 29, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 28, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing for June 28, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 6057
- today: 3698
- online: 185
- total: 8252328