Havana, July 23 (RHC)-- With regular commercial flights set to resume in the coming weeks between Cuba and the United States, the head of the island's civil aviation security, Armando Garbalosa, assured that Cuba is ready.
The chief of Cuba's aviation security said: "I can responsibly assure you that the level of security at our airport installations complies with world standards, including the standards of the United States. There is nothing to fear."
In an interview with Cuban news site Cubadebate, Garbalosa accused Republican lawmakers in the United States of badmouthing Cuba's aviation security. He said that U.S. officials had been inspecting Cuban airports for 15 years.
Washington and Havana agreed in February to restore direct commercial flights, one of the changes initiated in December 2014 when Presidents Raul Castro and Barack Obama announced a process of the normalization of relations.
Commercial flights between the two countries were suspended 53 years ago, though charter service has been allowed since the 1970s. At least eight U.S. airlines have been authorized to operate U.S.-Cuban routes, with the first flights expected in September.
- RHC's Segment 'The Voice of José Martí'
- RHC's Mailbag Show
- Visiting US congressional delegation meets with President Raúl Castro, speaks to the media in Havana
- Senator Leahy urges U.S. government to fully restaff Embassy in Havana
- Brazil: fighting fire with fire?
- The nuclear phantom flies again
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4531
- today: 2669
- online: 130
- total: 4368682