Santiago de Cuba, July 30 (RHC)-- Thousands of Santiago de Cuba residents, representing the entire Cuban people paid tribute to revolutionary leader Frank País García and all the martyrs of the Revolution, on occasion of the 59th anniversary of Frank's murder by henchmen of the U.S.-backed Fulgencio Batista dictatorship. Frank was the urban coordinator of the July 26th Movement.
Upon learning of the revolutionary leader's death on July 30th, 1957, Fidel Castro described Frank País as the most valuable and the most extraordinary of all the revolutionaries.
As is traditional, Santiago residents made a pilgrimage to the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery, where his remains are kept, along with those of his close friend and collaborator Raúl Pujol, who was also killed by the dictatorship's henchmen on that day.
In his honor, July 30th is the Day of the Martyrs of the Cuban Revolution, a date to honor those killed during the revolutionary attack on the Moncada and Carlos Manuel de Céspedes garrisons on July 26th, 1953, as well as to all the revolutionaries who participated in the Granma yacht expedition or fell in combat on the Sierra Maestra Mountains or as part of the underground movement.
- This weekend, Cubans serving abroad will have the opportunity to vote on the country’s new constitution
- Italian undersecretary of foreign affairs on official visit to Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba: It is imperative to halt an imperialist military intervention in Venezuela
- President Miguel Diaz-Canel assesses progress of recovery after devastating tornado
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3520
- today: 2402
- online: 132
- total: 5646549