Havana, January 6 (RHC) The general secretary of Portugal’s Communist Party, Jeronimo de Souza, said in Havana that his organization is interested in deepening its historic relations of solidarity with Cuba.
De Souza said that his party trust in the success of the economic and social transformations underway in Cuba aimed at consolidating the socialist system and making it sustainable.
The Portuguese communist leader is on an official visit to the island on the invitation of the Cuban Communist Party’s Central Committee. He began his official agenda by laying a wreath at the monument of Cuban National Hero Jose Marti, in Havana.
De Souza addressed the dramatic reality facing sectors of the Portuguese people, who have been hard hit by the crisis in Europe, where two million citizens are threatened by poverty, while the wealth is being increasingly concentrated in just few hands.
In this scenario, the Portuguese Communist Party is reinforcing its positions as it leads the struggle of the workers against the policies of the current rightist government, which aim at eliminating social achievements and favoring the transnational capital, he stressed.
During his stay in Havana till Friday, De Souza will hold talks with members of the Cuban Communist Party, the government and other organizations and institutions. He will also meet the relatives of the five Cuban anti-terrorist fighters.
Pedro Guerreiro, member of the Secretariat of the Portuguese Communist Party’s Central Committee and chief of the International Relations Department is also part of the Portuguese delegation visiting the island.
- Academic says denial of entry visas to Cuban scholars to participate in LASA Congress in the US was politically motivated
- Cuban top leaders meet with visiting North Korean Worker´s Party vice president
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: ALBA members must join forces to prevent a new imperialist military adventure in our region
- ALBA-TCP Political Council concerned about actions against regional peace and security
- RHC's Arts Roundup
NUMBER OF HITS/VISITORS
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3010
- today: 1159
- online: 145
- total: 5957775