Plaza in Santa Clara Ready for Commemoration of 50th Anniversary of Ernesto Che Guevara's Death in Combat
Santa Clara, October 2 (RHC-Granma)-- An intense effort has been underway at the Comandante Ernesto Che Guevara Sculpture Complex in Santa Clara to prepare the plaza for the national commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Che's death on October 8.
According to Noris Cárdenas Martínez, director of the Complex, over the past several days, men and women from a variety of institutions have been working jointly to return this sacred site, where the remains of Comandante Che Guevara and his comrades rest, to its full glory.
Among tasks completed as part of a months-long plan to ready the site for the commemoration was extensive renovation of landscaping, which was severely damaged by Hurricane Irma.
This necessitated the replanting of palm trees downed by the winds, clearing of fallen branches, and touching up the interior of the mausoleum.
Lighting, and fountains were also improved, Cárdenas Martínez said, while the marble floors and steps were repaired and polished, among other efforts to prepare the site for this important commemoration of Che's legacy, to be attended by thousands of Cubans and international guests.
- This weekend, Cubans serving abroad will have the opportunity to vote on the country’s new constitution
- Italian undersecretary of foreign affairs on official visit to Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba: It is imperative to halt an imperialist military intervention in Venezuela
- President Miguel Diaz-Canel assesses progress of recovery after devastating tornado
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2933
- today: 1274
- online: 123
- total: 5648354