Cubans from all walks of life to discuss draft text of new constitution beginning August 13
Havana, Aug 3 (RHC) – Millions of Cubans will be discussing beginning August 13 and until November 15 a draft of national constitution, in which all citizens are being urged to participate.
In statements to the press, Yumil Rodriguez, a member of the Parliamentary Commission for Constitutional Reform, said the goal of this democratic exercise is to gather all opinions and questions that the population may have about the proposed new constitution before the final version is submitted to the National Assembly for definitive approval.
Historian Eduardo Torres Cuevas, also a member of the Commission, said there is much interest among the Cuban population to get familiar with the new constitutional text and participate in its discussion. He said the proposed text will come out enriched following its public debate.
The proposed reform is aimed at making the national constitution reflect changes undergone in Cuba in the social and economic arenas.
Under the proposed new text, the Communist Party remains as dominant political force in Cuba. Presidents will be limited to serving two consecutive five-year terms, and political power will be divided between the president and a prime minister.
It bans discrimination based on gender, ethnic origin or disability, and seeks to also legalise same-sex marriage.
- Cuban historian: the public debate is a fundamental step in any constitutional reform process
- Cuban media follows closely the public debate on the draft Constitution
- Fidel Castro: “I'm not important. It is the six million Cubans back home that follow this visit who matter to me"
- Eusebio Leal: the public debate on the draft of constitution allows for advancing towards a stronger, more united nation
- Cuban-American: our participation in the constitutional reform process can help us find the way to talk with just one voice
- Cuban-Americans need to put pressure on their senators and congresspeople to change U.S.-policy towards Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2961
- today: 641
- online: 106
- total: 5047940