Antonio Becali, President of the Cuban Sports Institute, speaks to the press in Barranquilla. RHC Photo.
Barranquilla, August 4 (RHC)—The 23rd Central American and Caribbean Games are history and the Cuban delegation concluded its performance achieving the second place with 102 titles, behind Mexico who scored 132. The third position went to the host country, Colombia, with 79.
This is the first time Cuba achieves the second place in these regional Games, after 10 consecutive victories since Panama-70, with the exceptions of San Salvador in 2002 and Mayaguez 2010 when Havana did not send delegations.
In remarks to the press, Antonio Becali, the President of the Cuban Sports Institute, highlighted the courage and sporting gallantry shown by the Cuban athletes in Barranquilla-2018 and acknowledged Mexico´s extraordinary performance.
'There were Cuban athletes who exceeded expectations, including several who were not expected to win medals, but they made great contribution and we speak today of more than a hundred gold medals,' said Becali
He praised disciplines such as fencing, that surprisingly won seven golds and the first place, as well as boxing and cycling, each with six golds.
Becali stressed the improvement of competing skills of countries of the region, many of which have done so influenced by the participation of Cuban trainers.
The leader of the Cuban sports authority congratulated the organizers of Barranquilla-2018 and praised the conditions of the Villa.
'These have been very successful games. We are very happy and we congratulate the authorities of Barranquilla”, said Becali
- Academic says denial of entry visas to Cuban scholars to participate in LASA Congress in the US was politically motivated
- Cuban top leaders meet with visiting North Korean Worker´s Party vice president
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: ALBA members must join forces to prevent a new imperialist military adventure in our region
- ALBA-TCP Political Council concerned about actions against regional peace and security
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3010
- today: 1339
- online: 119
- total: 5957955