Federation of Cuban Women celebrate 58th anniversary. Photo: Granma / Reynaldo López
Las Tunas, August 23 (RHC)-- Cubans across the island celebrated the 58th anniversary of the Federation of Cuban Women, the FMC, on Thursday.
During the central ceremony for the anniversary, held in eastern Las Tunas, Teresa Amarelle Boué, secretary general of the Federation of Cuban Women, read a message from the second secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Cuba, José Ramón Machado Ventura.
In her remarks, Amarelle Boué pointed to the participation of the woman from Las Tunas in the tasks of the Revolution and evoked patriots of the independence struggles, such as Brígida Zaldívar, wife of Major General Vicente García, and Mambisa Tomasa Varona.
When referring to the advances of women in Cuba, she emphasized that women constitute 53.22 percent of the members of the National Assembly of People's Power and 48 percent in the top positions in State enterprises.
The secretary general of the FMC noted that the 10th Congress of the Federation of Cuban Women will be held in March of next year and conveyed a message of solidarity to those in Latin America and the world fighting to eliminate sexism and discrimination.
- Jorge Arreaza: Cuba and Venezuela are sister nations and we are on the right side of history
- Vietnamese deputy prime minister and foreign minister concludes official visit
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- U.S. academic says Washington's wars of aggression lead to more harm than good to the United States itself
- RHC's scientific and medical review
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3262
- today: 2394
- online: 138
- total: 5946160