Havana, May 6 (RHC) –- The speaker of the Syrian People’s Council, Mohammad Jihad al-Laham, sent on Monday messages to speakers from countries friendly to Syria, including Cuba, inviting their delegations to Damascus to monitor the presidential election slated for June 3rd.
“We invite groups of deputies and experts from the countries that take an objective stance on the Syrian events. We will be grateful to our colleagues if they take part in the monitoring of a free and democratic environment of the vote,” the speaker said, noting that it would be the first in the country’s history election on an alternative basis.
According to the speaker, 24 Syrian nationals representing all social layers and religious persuasions had been nominated and submitted documents to the Supreme Constitutional Court. However, only three contenders, including President Bashar al-Assad, managed to secure support of 35 deputies necessary for the registration.
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reports that invitations have also been sent to Russia, China, India, Brazil, South Africa, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Ecuador and Armenia.
- Cuban president calls for sensitivity in facing damage from Hurricane Michael
- Fidel Castro: Our enemies' hatred grows as our Revolution strengthens
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Good news from Guatemala
- President Miguel Díaz-Canel says 150 years later Cuban Revolution is the same and so are its challenges
- Cuba: The Revolution that began 150 years ago lives on today
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3898
- today: 818
- online: 110
- total: 5239250