Santiago de Cuba, June 13 (RHC)-- Cuban Hero Fernando Gonzalez laid a floral wreath Thursday on behalf of The Cuban Five at the mausoleum of National Hero Jose Marti, at the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery
Fernando and his comrades Antonio Guerrero, Rene Gonzalez, Ramon Labanino and Gerardo Hernandez, internationally known as The Cuban Five, were arrested in 1998 and given unfair, harsh prison sentences for monitoring Miami-based violent organizations operating against Cuba.
Fernando and Rene fully served his unfair prison sentences and are back in Cuba now while Antonio, Ramon and Gerardo are still being held in U.S prisons.
After paying tribute to Jose Marti, he confessed his excitement for this opportunity to be at one of Cuba's most sacred places, representing his comrades. He said that being so close to Cuba's National Hero Jose Marti made him remember how long Cubans have fought for independence and what is yet to be done to consolidate the country's sovereignty and social model.
Fernando also visited the tombs of other pro-independence heroes and laid a wreath at those of Mariana Grajales and Carlos Manuel de Cespedes, the latter considered by Cubans as the Father of the Homeland.
During his stay in Santiago de Cuba, Fernando will meet with students and professors of the University of Oriente and other schools and visit historical places and municipalities.
He will also meet with members of solidarity committees with the Cuban Five at the provincial headquarters of the Institute of Friendship with the People, ICAP.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4694
- today: 3997
- online: 178
- total: 6760916