Havana, November 15, (RHC-Xinhua) -- Diabetes is the eighth leading cause of death in Cuba, an expert said on Friday, also the World Diabetes Day.
More than 5 hund 30 ths people out of the total 11.2 million population, or 5 percent, have been diagnosed with the disease, said Esther Pallarols, a specialist at the Health Ministry's Department of Non-Communicable Diseases.
Overweight, smoking, excessive drinking and poor nutrition, along with a lack of exercises, are the major factors for developing diabetes, Pallarols warned.
A national program to control and prevent diabetes has been in place for several years in Cuba and rising costs are burdening the healthcare system and the fragile economy, Pallarols said.
- 6th Caricom-Cuba Summit Reaffirms Latin America and Caribbean as 'Zone of Peace'
- CARICOM and Cuba Leaders Renew Commitment to Advancing Sustainable Regional Development
- RHC's Music Program 'From Havana' (Havana sings to Sabina)
- RHC's Weekly Review
- RHC's Weekly Segment 'Breakthrough'
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4242
- today: 3433
- online: 206
- total: 4086156