Havana, November 15, (RHC-Xinhua) -- Diabetes is the eighth leading cause of death in Cuba, an expert said on Friday, also the World Diabetes Day.
More than 5 hund 30 ths people out of the total 11.2 million population, or 5 percent, have been diagnosed with the disease, said Esther Pallarols, a specialist at the Health Ministry's Department of Non-Communicable Diseases.
Overweight, smoking, excessive drinking and poor nutrition, along with a lack of exercises, are the major factors for developing diabetes, Pallarols warned.
A national program to control and prevent diabetes has been in place for several years in Cuba and rising costs are burdening the healthcare system and the fragile economy, Pallarols said.
- U.S. Republican lawmakers favor agricultural trade between Cuba and the United States
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Terrible week in Guatemala
- Colombians in awe due to threat of disaster at hidroituango dam
- Cuba condemns OAS' interference in Venezuela's internal affairs
- U.S. imperialism has not succeeded in destroying Puerto Rican nationalism
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3791
- today: 3674
- online: 102
- total: 4842118