Santiago de Cuba, January 2 (RHC)-- Cuban President Raul Castro has paid homage to the heroes and martyrs of the Revolution during a ceremony held at the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery in Santiago de Cuba.
The Cuban leader placed flowers on the graves of Mariana Grajales and María Cabrales, the mother and widow, respectively, of General Antonio Maceo. He also laid floral wreaths at the memorial for veterans of the Wars of Independence.
President Raul Castro paused to pay tribute at the graves of Carlos Manuel de Céspedes, the Father of the Country, as well as the unforgettable Frank País, a leading member of the July 26th movement who was killed by the Batista dictatorship before the Triumph of the Revolution.
And the Cuban president also paid his respects at the grave of Vilma Espin, his wife and compañera, who fought with him in the struggle against the dictatorship and dedicated her life to building a new society.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4940
- today: 4121
- online: 257
- total: 6738354