Abuja, February 6 (RHC)-- Nigeria's National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has backed the introduction of Cuban homeopathic remedy for managing pain in cancer patients.
The drug, Vidatox 30 CH, is a biotherapeutic, with scorpion venom as active ingredient, manufactured by Cuba-based firm Labiofam and was formally introduced on the Nigerian market yesterday, the Daily Trust reports. Homeopathic remedies work by enhancing the body's ability to heal and regulate itself by means of immune system.
"Most patients with advanced cancer experience severe pain," said Dr. Paul Orhii, director-general of NAFDAC which registered Vidatox.
"This pain can be alleviated if correctly and effectively managed. The optimal use of medication is pivotal in the effective control of cancer pain. Multiple methods of pain control are however frequently necessary in the treatment of cancer pain."
The use of Vidatox does not exclude other conventional cancer treatment and that simultaneous use with chemotherapy could improve anti-tumor activity, said Veterinary Pharmaceutical Development Company, which will distribute the drug in Nigeria.
- Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel receives WHO and PAHO directors
- U.S. activist: Unity, the most important five-letter word in the Cuban Revolution
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- WHO director-general: Cuba is an example for many countries
- Evo Morales ratifies Bolivia's support for Cuba
- Bolivian president Evo Morales begins official visit
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4121
- today: 1428
- online: 113
- total: 4610354