Havana, May 19 (RHC) –- Cubans throughout the country are commemorating today the 120th anniversary of the death of National Hero José Martí, who fell in combat in the eastern territory of Dos Ríos on May 19, 1895.
In Dos Ríos, now a municipality of the province of Granma, a cultural-political gala was held Tuesday morning to celebrate the life of the Cuban independence fighter. Local artists, including a children's theater group graced the act with beautiful and emotional performances of Martí's poems and adapted texts.
The event was attended by Cuban Vice President Salvador Valdez Mesa and Cuban heroes Ramón Labañino and René Gonzalez.
Also on Tuesday, the prime TV debate program Round Table will feature renowned historians and scholars, who will discuss the life, work and legacy of José Martí, Cuba's most prolific thinker and intellectual.
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba ratifies its unwavering support for Nicaragua
- Cuba renews its solidarity with Nicaragua
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Cuban lawmakers studying draft of new Constitution
- Machado Ventura: Unity among the left and progressive forces is urgently needed these days
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3453
- today: 1415
- online: 119
- total: 4947712