Washington, May 27 (RHC) -- Newly-elected Secretary General of the Organization of American States, the OAS, Luis Almagro, has prioritized Cuba's full integration back into the organization, EFE news agency reports.
"The OAS must end the Cold War with Cuba's reincorporation. This will require an effort from the organization and also from Cuba," the former Uruguayan Foreign Minister told reporters on Tuesday after his appointment.
Almagro specifically addressed the matter in his acceptance speech, highlighting the "turning point" marked by Havana's participation for the first time in this year's Summit of the Americas in Panama.
"Cuba's presence, combined with renewed bilateral relations with the United States (...) is beneficial for the entire hemisphere," he told the OAS Permanent Council at its headquarters in Washington.
The new OAS secretary general said: "We will work to fully integrate Cuba into the OAS, obviously taking into account the need to respect time and processes."
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 29 , 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 28 , 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 28, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 27, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 27 , 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 26, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 6447
- today: 5696
- online: 180
- total: 8045683