Havana, June 26 (RHC-XINHUA) -- A Cuban-made vaccine against cholera is in the second stage of clinical development and the results of the tests have been very good, a researcher said on Thursday.
Rafael Fando, director of the National Center for Scientific Investigation (CNIC), says the oral vaccine contains a live subdued microorganism as an active ingredient.
This ingredient facilitates the products' entry into the gastrointestinal tract to generate a protective immune response against cholera, Fando told participants at the International Scientific Congress, which closed Friday at Havana's Convention Center.
The doctor said: "The future vaccine will be most useful to countries with little economic resources to fight the cholera epidemic."
- U.S. Republican lawmakers favor agricultural trade between Cuba and the United States
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Terrible week in Guatemala
- Colombians in awe due to threat of disaster at hidroituango dam
- Cuba condemns OAS' interference in Venezuela's internal affairs
- U.S. imperialism has not succeeded in destroying Puerto Rican nationalism
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3948
- today: 1029
- online: 91
- total: 4831763