Havana, June 26 (RHC-XINHUA) -- A Cuban-made vaccine against cholera is in the second stage of clinical development and the results of the tests have been very good, a researcher said on Thursday.
Rafael Fando, director of the National Center for Scientific Investigation (CNIC), says the oral vaccine contains a live subdued microorganism as an active ingredient.
This ingredient facilitates the products' entry into the gastrointestinal tract to generate a protective immune response against cholera, Fando told participants at the International Scientific Congress, which closed Friday at Havana's Convention Center.
The doctor said: "The future vaccine will be most useful to countries with little economic resources to fight the cholera epidemic."
- 6th Caricom-Cuba Summit Reaffirms Latin America and Caribbean as 'Zone of Peace'
- CARICOM and Cuba Leaders Renew Commitment to Advancing Sustainable Regional Development
- RHC's Music Program 'From Havana' (Havana sings to Sabina)
- RHC's Weekly Review
- RHC's Weekly Segment 'Breakthrough'
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4242
- today: 1660
- online: 206
- total: 4084383