Santiago de Cuba, July 9 (RHC) –- The 35th Caribbean Festival or Fire Fest closes on Thursday after six days full of activities, with the participation of over 1,000 guests from 42 countries.
The festival closing includes a tour by participants along main streets and a ceremony at a centrally located square where they will officiate the burning of the Devil, a tradition wishing to scare away evil spirits and the celebration of a better festival next year.
As part of activities today, the “Caribbean that Unites Us” international forum will come to an end after holding debates on cultural tourism and its international impact, issues related to culinary heritage and others.
The ceremony will also call the 36 Feast of Fire next year with Costa Rica as guest of honor.
This year's festival was dedicated to the 500th anniversary of the founding of eastern Santiago de Cuba, a date to be marked on July 25th.
- Cuban historian: the public debate is a fundamental step in any constitutional reform process
- Cuban media follows closely the public debate on the draft Constitution
- Fidel Castro: “I'm not important. It is the six million Cubans back home that follow this visit who matter to me"
- Eusebio Leal: the public debate on the draft of constitution allows for advancing towards a stronger, more united nation
- Cuban-American: our participation in the constitutional reform process can help us find the way to talk with just one voice
- Cuban-Americans need to put pressure on their senators and congresspeople to change U.S.-policy towards Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2961
- today: 409
- online: 98
- total: 5047708