QUITO, Ecuador, December 2 (RHC).--- The confirmed participation of two special members of the Cuban delegation to the forthcoming Eighteenth World Festival of Youth and Students, to be held in Quito, Ecuador, has aroused a lot of interest.
One of them is Rene González, a member of the Cuban Five who has served a prison term in the United States and has returned to Cuba. Gonzalez is leading the legal battle for the return of his four compatriots. They are, Gerardo Hernández, Ramón Labañino, Antonio Guerrero y Fernando González—still US. jails for having monitored terrorism against Cuba by CIA-led groups operating out of Florida.
The other special delegate is Elian Gonzalez. As a child, Elian was abducted by his mother and taken to Miami aboard a small boat. The boat capsized and Elian was the only survivor. He was rescued by fishermen. Despite his mother’s death, her relatives in Miami faught his return into the custody of his father. Following a protracted legal battle, Elian was eventually brought home to Cuba.
Rene Gonzales and Elian will arrive in Ecuador with the full Cuban delegation on December six.
- RHC's national and international news stories Jan. 16
- Puerto Rico: the struggle for independence continues
- 35th Jazz Plaza Festival well-underway, both in Havana and Santiago de Cuba
- Imperialism and Revolution Episode #22
- RHC's national and international news stories Jan. 15
- Ricardo Alarcón: Recent anti-Cuba measures by the Trump Administration reflect complete failure of Washington's Cuba policy
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 11605
- today: 6860
- online: 154
- total: 6994636