Havana, December 3 (RHC)-- The confirmed participation of two special members of the Cuban delegation to the forthcoming 18th World Festival of Youth and Students, to be held in Quito, Ecuador, has aroused a lot of interest.
One of them is Rene González, a member of the Cuban Five who has served a prison term in the United States and has returned to Cuba. Gonzalez is leading the legal battle for the return of his four compatriots. They are, Gerardo Hernández, Ramón Labañino, Antonio Guerrero y Fernando González — still in U.S. jails for having monitored terrorism against Cuba by CIA-led groups operating out of Florida.
The other special delegate is Elian Gonzalez. As a child, Elian was abducted by his mother and taken to Miami aboard a small boat. The boat capsized and Elian was the only survivor. He was rescued by fishermen. Despite his mother’s death, her relatives in Miami fought his return into the custody of his father. Following a protracted legal battle, Elian was eventually brought home to Cuba.
Rene Gonzales and Elian will arrive in Ecuador with the full Cuban delegation on December 6th.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4738
- today: 1485
- online: 144
- total: 6772041