Santiago de Cuba, January 18 (RHC)-- Residents of eastern Santiago de Cuba are on alert following a number of moderate earthquakes early Sunday morning. Reports from the area say that security measures are being implemented by Civil Defense authorities.
The first tremor – measuring 4.8 on the Richter scale -- was felt in Santiago de Cuba at 1:37 Sunday morning, which was followed by a series of other seismic events during the next 12 hours.
No human or material damage was reported. However, authorities insisted that people remain on alert. Monitoring stations reported a continued seismic activity, but at lower levels.
Experts say that 70 percent of high magnitude quakes are preceded by a series of minor tremors. In many cases, a series of tremors increases seismic activity, which later goes back to normal, but attention must be closely paid.
- 16th Summit of ALBA Heads of State and Government held in Havana
- Havana becomes the capital of regional integration once again
- The bigger they are the harder they fall!
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- U.S. scholar: regarding the health incidents, Cuba has acted in an honorable, legal manner, whereas the United States has not
- Cuba-CARICOM Day celebrated in Havana
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3303
- today: 1321
- online: 148
- total: 5435223