Moscow, May 12 (RHC)-- Heroes of the Republic of Cuba Gerardo Hernández, René González, Antonio Guerrero, Fernando González and Ramón Labañino –known internationally as the Cuban Five-- were awarded the Commemorative Medal of the 70th Anniversary of Soviet Victory over Fascism, granted by the Russian Committee of War Veterans.
The ceremony took place Wednesday in Moscow, where the Cuban heroes are visiting, invited by the lower chamber of the Russian parliament or State Duma.
On hand were representatives of solidarity with Cuba groups and organizations. In presenting the Cuban Five with the distinction, Lieutenant General (retired) Igor Kuretnoi, President of the Russia-Cuba Friendship Association, praised the Five's heroism, strength and courage, which they fully demonstrated during the biased, politically-motivated trial against them in Miami and the unfair, unjust imprisonment they had to endure in the U.S. for fighting against terrorism.
During their stay in Moscow, the Cuban heroes have held talks with Russian authorities, including Foreign Minister Serguéi Lavrov, and participated in celebrations on the 71st anniversary of victory over Nazi Germany. They also placed a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in tribute to the Soviet soldiers killed during World War II.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4802
- today: 1128
- online: 190
- total: 6656995