Havana, May 23 (RHC)-- Monsignor Juan de la Caridad García Rodríguez, has assumed as the new Archbishop of Havana. The ceremony took place Sunday at the Havana Cathedral, attended by Cuban government and Communist Party leaders.
As part of the ritual, Cardinal Jaime Ortega received Monsignor Juan and accompanied him inside the temple for the mass.
During the homily, Monsignor Juan praised the work carried out by his predecessor, Jaime Ortega, and thanked Cuban authorities for their support. He promised to continue on with the work begun by Cardinal Ortega, towards further strengthening dialogue and cooperation between the Cuban government and the Catholic Church.
Pope Francis appointed Juan de la Caridad García Rodríguez as the new Archbishop of Havana on April 26th, 2016, after accepting the resignation of Cardinal Jaime Ortega due to advanced age.
- This weekend, Cubans serving abroad will have the opportunity to vote on the country’s new constitution
- Italian undersecretary of foreign affairs on official visit to Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba: It is imperative to halt an imperialist military intervention in Venezuela
- President Miguel Diaz-Canel assesses progress of recovery after devastating tornado
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2933
- today: 2493
- online: 127
- total: 5649573