The Mexican drama Heli, by Amat Escalante, won the First Coral Award at the 35th New Latin American Film Festival which wound up in the Cuban capital on Sunday.
The Uruguayan film El lugar del hijo (The Son’s Place), by Manuel Nieto, and Gloria, by Chilean Sebastián Lelio, took home the Second and Third Corals respectively.
The Argentinean historical movie Wakolda, by Lucía Puenzo, on the presence of Nazi doctor, Josef Mengele, in her country, was awarded a special prize of the jury and Puenzo won the Coral award as best director.
Cuban filmmaker Eduardo del Llano was presented the Coral prize for its short film Casting, while Arturo Sotto, also from the Caribbean island, won a prize as best script writer for Boccacerías habaneras, which also took home the Popularity Prize. The festival’s jury decided to grant an Honorary Coral Award to Miami based Cuban actor, Reynaldo Miravalles, who recently participated in the Cuban movie Esther en alguna parte (Esther somewhere), by Gerardo Chijona.
More than 530 movies were screened during the cultural gathering, while its theoretical forum dealt with the challenge of investigating the relationship between cinema and its audiences.
MAKE A COMMENTAll fields required
- U.S. senators propose sanctions for Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernández
- Cuban pharmaceutical plants produce two anti-Covid-19 formulas on a large scale
- U.S. President Joe Biden orders attacks on targets inside Syria
- Over four million Cubans accessed the Internet on their phones in 2020
- Cuba has carried out 510 cochlear implant surgeries