The Cuban National Ballet Company is performing its most emblematic ballet Giselle at the National Theater on December 20th, 21st and 22nd to mark the 70 anniversary of dance legend, Alicia Alonso’s debut in the role.
The National Theater will also host a mixed bill by the company on the 25th and 26th to mark the 65 anniversary of the ensemble’s establishment, plus the Gala marking the anniversary of the Cuban Revolution on January 1st
Company director, prima ballerina assoluta Alicia Alonso, debuted in Giselle in New York’s Metropolitan Opera House, replacing American Ballet Theater principal, Alicia Markova, in 1943. As of that moment, her career as a dancer in the US skyrocketed, becoming an international star, and founding the Cuban National Ballet in 1948.
MAKE A COMMENTAll fields required
- Virtual forum highlights 50 years of Cuba-Caricom ties
- Díaz-Canel described the Caricom-Cuba Summit as a meeting of brothers and sisters
- Cuba and Haiti to present food security projects in Panama
- Caricom Summit adopts Declaration against U.S. blockade
- Dominican leader highlights anniversary of Cuba-Caricom relations