U.S. President Donald Trump is recklessly escalating tensions with Cuba and preparing for eventual military action against the Caribbean nation, the peace organization CodePink has warned.
“We must stop this madness,” the group said in a message on social media. “Cubans, not Washington politicians or Miami hardliners, should decide Cuba’s future.”
CodePink rejected the Justice Department’s proposed indictment of Cuban leader Raúl Castro “while (Trump) intensifies the brutal blockade and prepares for an invasion.”
The organization urged voters to direct their respective members of the US Congress to vote “Yes” on the War Powers Resolutions to prevent unauthorized military action against Cuba.
This week, the Democratic senator Arizona Senator Rubén Gallego warned that Republicans are trying to involve the United States in another war, this time against Cuba.
“We are watching Republicans fabricate before our very eyes a reason for another regime change war, this time in Cuba,” the senator wrote on his Twitter account.
Gallego, along with his Senate colleagues Tim Kaine (Virginia) and Adam Schiff (California), introduced a War Powers Resolution to block the use of U.S. Armed Forces in hostilities against Cuba, according to a press release published on the senator’s official website.
President Trump’s use of the U.S. military to blockade Cuba has created a humanitarian crisis on the island and risks triggering a massive migration crisis, the statement said.
Furthermore, he continues to threaten direct military action, and recent reports indicate that Southern Command has been ordered to develop plans for possible military action, the statement, released Thursday, argued.
“I was sent abroad, along with other working-class youth. I fought a war that the elites fabricated to line their own pockets; and now I see the same strategy being applied in Cuba, right before everyone’s eyes,” he declared.
“The president’s approval ratings are plummeting, so he’s inventing a pretext for invasion and seeking a quick victory to project an image of toughness.” “We must raise our voices now, before we end up embroiled in another endless war,” he stressed.
For his part, Kaine, a member of the Senate Armed Services and Foreign Relations Committees, emphasized that “Americans want a Congress and a president focused on reducing costs.”
“The last thing our country needs right now is a regime-change war in Cuba, based on imaginary threats to national security,” Kaine stressed, as quoted in the statement.
Meanwhile, Schiff added that “there is no indication whatsoever that Cuba poses a significant threat to the national security of the United States.”
President Trump lacks the legal authority to invade or attack another sovereign nation without congressional approval or without demonstrating the existence of an imminent threat, he insisted.
Americans do not want more costly and discretionary wars that drive up prices domestically, nor do they want to be involved in nation-building abroad, he argued.
The senators stressed that they will continue to push for resolutions on war powers and Seeking to garner bipartisan support “to make clear our opposition to the use of military force against Iran, Cuba, Venezuela, or any other nation that does not pose an imminent threat to the United States.”
Trump reiterated during his 2024 presidential campaign that, if elected, he would keep the United States out of armed conflicts; he even vied for the Nobel Peace Prize last year.
But since returning to the White House, threats of expansion and interventionism have been shaping his foreign policy agenda.
Now, despite having an open front in the Middle East with Iran, the Trump administration’s next target appears to be Cuba.
The aircraft carrier Nimitz has been deployed to the Caribbean, but, according to Trump, this is not to intimidate the island
[ SOURCE: PRENSA LATINA ]
