Paris, July 23 (RHC)-- In France, police raided the refugee camp known as "The Jungle" in the northern city of Calais this week, making arrests and destroying shops. Earlier this year, the camp housed over 6,000 refugees, many of whom were seeking entry into Britain through the nearby Channel Tunnel, known as the Chunnel.
Between March and May, police destroyed buildings in the camp and evicted about half of the residents. The Calais city government says it will soon announce plans to evict the rest of the camp.
This comes as the International Organization for Migration is warning 2016 may become the deadliest year yet for people fleeing into Europe from Africa. The organization says that 2,800 people have drowned attempting the crossing so far this year -- 1,000 more than at this time last year.
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 30 , 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 29 , 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 28 , 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 28, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 27, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 27 , 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 6221
- today: 5727
- online: 208
- total: 8051935