U.S. Priest Assassinated in Guatemala Stanley Rother
Guatemala City, December 6 (RHC)-- An U.S. priest assassinated in Guatemala in 1981 has moved a step closer to sainthood. The Vatican has now declared Reverend Stanley Rother to be a martyr.
Father Stanley Rother was killed by a right-wing death squad in his church rectory. He died on the same day U.S.-backed Guatemalan troops killed 13 people and wounded 24 others in the same town where he was shot.
Stanley Rother is the first American to ever be declared a martyr by the Catholic Church.
- Cuban historian: the public debate is a fundamental step in any constitutional reform process
- Cuban media follows closely the public debate on the draft Constitution
- Fidel Castro: “I'm not important. It is the six million Cubans back home that follow this visit who matter to me"
- Eusebio Leal: the public debate on the draft of constitution allows for advancing towards a stronger, more united nation
- Cuban-American: our participation in the constitutional reform process can help us find the way to talk with just one voice
- Cuban-Americans need to put pressure on their senators and congresspeople to change U.S.-policy towards Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3174
- today: 1341
- online: 94
- total: 5045679