San Salvador, May 22 (RHC)-- El Salvadoran Archbishop Óscar Romero will be beatified Saturday in San Salvador in a step toward sainthood. Archbishop Romero was known as the "Voice of the Voiceless," an advocate for the poor and leading critic of the U.S.-backed Salvadoran military government.
He was killed March 24, 1980, by members of a U.S.-backed death squad while delivering mass at a hospital chapel. His assassination was ordered by Salvadoran military officer Roberto D’Aubuisson, a graduate of the U.S.-run School of the Americas.
An envoy of Pope Francis will lead his beatification tomorrow before an expected audience of hundreds of thousands of people.
- RHC's national and international news stories Jan. 17
- President Diaz-Canel: Trump Administration blames others for its flaws in foreign policy
- Artists attending 35th edition of Jazz Plaza come from around the world
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Visit Cuba
- Notes on the Revolution / Column #58
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 11521
- today: 11057
- online: 189
- total: 7041428