Baghdad, October 23 (RHC)-- One U.S. special operations soldier has been killed in Iraq during a rescue operation to free hostages from the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group, U.S. military officials say.
U.S. special operations forces attempted to rescue a group of Kurdish hostages in Iraq on Wednesday night, Pentagon press secretary Peter Cook said in a statement Thursday. Around 70 hostages were successfully rescued during the operation, Cook said.
The operation was conducted in the city of Hawijah, which is located in Iraq’s Kirkuk province. Iraqi officials say that Kurdish and Iraqi forces were also involved in the rescue operation.
- U.S. Congressional Delegation Visits Cuba
- Havana to Host 20th Habanos Festival
- RHC's Segment 'Focus on Africa'
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Esperanto Congress wraps up in Havana
- Perucho lives in the soul of the Cuban nation
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4558
- today: 2395
- online: 144
- total: 4359236