Paris, December 7 (RHC)-- New figures show that worldwide, an average of one person is displaced by climate-related weather events every single second.
The data revealed by the United Nations refugee agency shows that since 2008, 22.5 million people have been displaced every year by floods, storms and other climate-related weather events – the equivalent of a person per second over the last eight years.
Speaking at the United Nations climate summit in Paris, Marine Franck of the UN refugee agency said the COP must address climate displacement. She said that "enabling people to migrate in dignity, to seek alternative opportunities when living conditions deteriorate and crisis comes knocking at their door is also an important measure."
- President Raúl Castro Meets with Visiting Counterpart from Serbia
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Protests and Repression Continue in Argentina
- Cuba Renews Its Solidarity with Venezuela at ALBA-TCP Political Council
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Cuban Parliament President Esteban Lazo Meets with Serbian President
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4241
- today: 3445
- online: 194
- total: 4103641