Havana, January 30 (RHC-Xinhua)-- Cuba remains a safe destination for U.S. travelers, despite the setback in bilateral relations after President Donald Trump came to power last year, U.S. and Cuban tourism experts said Monday.
The Caribbean island state is as safe for travelers from the United States as from elsewhere, representatives from U.S. tourism businesses told media in the Cuban capital.
Tom Popper, head of the U.S. travel agency Insight Cuba and sponsor of the meeting with reporters, said little has changed in the ways U.S. citizens can legally travel to Cuba.
"Traveling to Cuba is legal and safe, something that many Americans do not fully understand," Popper said, adding that the U.S. government deliberately ignored the fact with its warnings about alleged risks.
Last November, Washington introduced new restrictions on U.S. citizens' visits to Cuba.
Popper said facilitation approved by the administration of former President Barack Obama for U.S. travelers to Cuba remain unchanged, although tourism is still a prohibited activity for Americans.
"Cuba is one of the safest destinations in the world and during 2017, we were visited by 619,777 Americans, none reported problems of any kind during their trips," said Jose Manuel Bisbe, director of Viajes Cuba, a company under the ministry of tourism, citing a 95 percent satisfaction rate in foreign visitors last year.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5024
- today: 3426
- online: 154
- total: 6654491