Cuban Communist Party's Central Committee debates Draft Constitution. Photo: Prensa Latina
Havana, July 4 (RHC)-- The Central Committee of the Cuban Communist Party (PCC) has met to debate the country's draft constitution.
Presided over by the PCC First Secretary, former President Raúl Castro, the two-day plenary session discussed what constitute significant modifications to the country's Magna Carta, although it maintains invariable all the key principles on which Cuba's socialist society is based.
Raúl Castro, who presides over the temporary commission set up to elaborate a new Constitution, highlighted the significance of the ongoing process. He recalled that the country's Magna Carta was enacted 42 years ago, in 1976, in response to political, economic and social circumstances which have changed over time.
Other members of the commission include president Miguel Díaz-Canel and the second secretary of the PCC's Central Committee José Ramón Machado Ventura.
Concerning the new Constitution, president Díaz-Canel said it will maintain the humanistic and social justice principles of the Cuban Revolution, as well as the irrevocable socialist character of Cuban society, as agreed upon by the people in the 2002 referendum.
The draft document will be amply debated, first in the country's parliament and later in broad, open consultations with the people. The final version of the draft Constitution will be submitted to a public referendum.
- Cuba says lack of political will by industrialized nations hampers eradication of poverty and hunger
- Excerpts of the address by foreign minister Bruno Rodríguez at 26th Ibero-American Summit
- Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez leads Cuban delegation to Ibero-American Summit in Guatemala
- Fidel's legacy is of paramount importance for Cuba's foreign policy and international relations amongst States
- Statement by the Ministry of Public Health of the Republic of Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
NUMBER OF HITS/VISITORS
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3129
- today: 1915
- online: 131
- total: 5345286