Havana, May 6 (RHC)-- As of May 6, two million international tourists have visited Cuba. The announcement coincided with the International Tourism Fair, FITCuba 2019, hosted this week by the Cuban capital. The figure is reached despite current defamatory campaigns sponsored by the United States against the island and the reinforcement of its economic, financial and commercial blockade.
Manuel Marrero Cruz, Cuba´s tourism minister, announced the news via Twitter, and added that the figure is reached 12 days earlier than in the past year.
He also said that as part of FITCuba 2019, a Foreign Administration Workshop and a Cuba-Spain Business Forum will take place.
A cultural gala will be held at Alicia Alonso Theater Monday evening and on Tuesday, the official inauguration of FITC Cuba will take place at Havana's Conventions Palace, the minister noted.
At a press conference,turism officials reported that during the recently concluded high season the leading European markets - France, Germany, UK, Italy and Spain - recorded decreases between 10 and 13 percent in the issuance of travelers to Cuba, a reality similar to that of the Caribbean.
However, the country closed the first four-month period with a seven percent growth in the arrival of other international visitors.
In that period, Canada remained first among the issuing markets, with 624.530 tourists, while USA appear second with 257.500 visitors, for a year-on-year growth of 93.5 percent,
Markets such as Russia, Chile and Colombia increased their issuances to Cuba, thus contributing to offset the arrival figures to the Caribbean island.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4950
- today: 4890
- online: 240
- total: 6665707