Havana, June 3 (RHC)-- Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez congratulated the first Secretary of the Cuban Communist Party, Raúl Castro, on the occasion of his 88th birthday and described him as a true revolutionary.
In a message on Twitter, the Cuban president highlighted that the courage, loyalty, firmness of principles, honesty, modesty, and devotion to the revolution of Army General Raul Castro inspire all Cubans.
“He taught us at the most difficult time that it is possible to overcome all obstacles”, added Diaz-Canel.
Raúl Castro was born on June 3, 1931 in Birán, Holguín, and is the fourth son of the Castro-Ruz family.
He followed his older brother Fidel Castro in leading a Revolution together with other courageous young people, according to the biographical book “Raúl Castro: a man in Revolution” by Nicolai S. Leonov.
He was one of the assailants to the Moncada Fortress on July 26, 1953, expeditionary on board the Granma Yacht, a guerrilla fighter, and chief of the “Frank País" Second Front of the Rebel Army. After Januay 1st, 1959 he held the posts of Minister of the Revolutionary Armed Forces, and second secretary of the Party, among other important roles.
He was president of Cuba from 2008 to 2018
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4940
- today: 4650
- online: 249
- total: 6738883