Havana, November 20 (RHC) -- The Cuban doctor who contracted Ebola while treating patients in Sierra Leone is in stable condition, a Cuban health official said Wednesday.
According to Jorge Perez, director of the Tropical Diseases Institute from Havana, Dr. Felix Baez Sarría has so far only a reduced fever and no further complications.
"He's doing fine. He's lost a little appetite, but otherwise has no complications at the moment," Perez told Reuters a few hours before he was due to travel to Geneva, where the Cuban doctor is to be transferred for treatment.
Baez, a specialist in internal medicine, is the first Cuban to have contracted Ebola.
Some 165 Cuban healthcare workers have gone to Sierra Leone to help in the ongoing campaign against the spread of the deadly virus. Another 53 have been deployed to Liberia and 38 in Guinea.
Baez, who is married with two children, was due to arrive in Geneva late Thursday. He was one of 15,000 volunteers for the Ebola mission and one of 465 who received training in Havana.
"Be strong, Dad, everything's going to be all right. All of Cuba is waiting for you," the doctor's elder son, second-year medical student Alejandro Baez, said in statements to local reporters.
- Process of constitutional debates continues throughout Cuba
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- U.S. Scholar: Washington's policy towards Cuba throughout history has been a mistake
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Bolivia awaits for the sea
- President Miguel Díaz-Canel highlights broad public debates nationwide on draft of Cuban Constitution
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3039
- today: 667
- online: 37
- total: 5146702