Havana, January 14 (RHC)-- Cuba's Mariana de Gonitch National Singing Academy has organized an artistic program to celebrate the 90th birthday of Cuban Revolution leader Fidel Castro.
Entitled 'Fidel is Cuba' (Fidel es Cuba), it comprises a series of concerts, the first of which was held on Wednesday at Havana's Fine Arts Museum. Academy members sang emblematic Cuban music pieces like 'La rosa blanca' or (white rose), which is originally a poem written by Cuban Hero José Martí set to music, 'Guantanamera' and 'Cuba que linda es Cuba', among others.
Academy director Hugo Oslé said the concerts will be held on the 13th of every month, up until August 13th –Fidel's birthday.
Other venues of the programmed concerts include the Casa del Alba Cultural, University of Havana's main lecture hall and the Plaza de Armas in Old Havana.
Created 70 years ago by Russian soprano Mariana de Gonitch after she settled here in Cuba, the singing academy promotes the work of young talented Cuban singers.
- Victor Gaute: Cuba denounces the United States for adopting measures aimed at hindering everyday life in the Caribbean state
- Frei Betto: I believe the socialist project clearly corresponds to what Martí said when he spoke of Motherland as Humanity
- Notes on the Revolution / Column #61
- RHC's sports report TIME OUT
- Visit Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 11638
- today: 6564
- online: 272
- total: 7110915