Havana, January 14 (RHC)-- Cuba's Mariana de Gonitch National Singing Academy has organized an artistic program to celebrate the 90th birthday of Cuban Revolution leader Fidel Castro.
Entitled 'Fidel is Cuba' (Fidel es Cuba), it comprises a series of concerts, the first of which was held on Wednesday at Havana's Fine Arts Museum. Academy members sang emblematic Cuban music pieces like 'La rosa blanca' or (white rose), which is originally a poem written by Cuban Hero José Martí set to music, 'Guantanamera' and 'Cuba que linda es Cuba', among others.
Academy director Hugo Oslé said the concerts will be held on the 13th of every month, up until August 13th –Fidel's birthday.
Other venues of the programmed concerts include the Casa del Alba Cultural, University of Havana's main lecture hall and the Plaza de Armas in Old Havana.
Created 70 years ago by Russian soprano Mariana de Gonitch after she settled here in Cuba, the singing academy promotes the work of young talented Cuban singers.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5771
- today: 4103
- online: 148
- total: 6622200