Wifredo Lam and the Jungle
Havana, September 2 (RHC) – An exhibit of Cuba’s most universal painter, Wifredo Lam, is set to open at the Arts Center in the south central city of Cienfuegos, Sept 4.
Wifredo Lam is the painter of La Jungla (The Jungle) belonging to the permanent collection of MoMa in New York and La Silla (the Chair) on display at the Cuban Fine Arts Museum.
According to Granma newspaper, the exhibition is made up of 18 original engravings of the important Cuban artist, who was born at Sagua la Grande in central Villa Clara province in 1902 and passed away in Paris in 1982. It also includes documents, videos, audiovisual material and a largest ceramic plate that Lam ever made.
The pieces are part of the private collection of renowned Cuban artist Alexis Leyva Machado (Kcho), who lent it to the province for the exhibition which will be part of the 4th ‘Rufo Caballero’ National Encounter of Art Theory and Critic running in Cienfuegos Sept 1/5, with the attendance of outstanding Cuban audiovisual experts.
- This weekend, Cubans serving abroad will have the opportunity to vote on the country’s new constitution
- Italian undersecretary of foreign affairs on official visit to Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba: It is imperative to halt an imperialist military intervention in Venezuela
- President Miguel Diaz-Canel assesses progress of recovery after devastating tornado
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3089
- today: 2894
- online: 150
- total: 5643521