Pinar del Río beat Matanzas 9-6 in the sixth game of the play off final of the Cuban baseball championship, becoming the champion of the 53rd National Series.
Pinar del Rio won four of the six games against an equally strong Matanzas, garnering their tenth national baseball title, after those achieved in 1978, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1997, 1998 and 2011.
Meanwhile, a day eralier, the Cuban Baseball Federation had announced this year’s individual ballplayer award winners, and Pinar del Río once again proved to be the biggest winner.
A top tandem of star Vegueros hurlers have walked off with the two most impressive trophies, and with the Green Tsunami club now declared winners of the National Championship, recently returned veteran manager Alfonso Urquiola may soon be adding to the clean sweep with highly likely Manager of the Year plaudits.
Coming off a brilliant 15-3 (1.78 ERA) performance, ten-year veteran right-hander Yosvani Torres edged transplanted Industriales third sacker Yulieski Gourriel and Matanzas outfielder Yadiel Hernández for the prestigious Most Valuable Player trophy. And by posting a strong showing out of Urquiola’s bullpen (5-5, with 24 relief appearances and 5 saves), Vladimir Gutierrez also walked off with Rookie of the Year honors.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4683
- today: 4978
- online: 113
- total: 6651019