Migrant children are being separated from their parents. Photo: Reuters
Washington, June 2 (RHC)-- In the United States, California Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein is set to introduce a bill that would end the Donald Trump administration’s practice of separating immigrant children from their parents.
The legislation comes less than a month after Attorney General Jeff Sessions made this threat to migrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border. Sessions said: “If you are smuggling a child, then we will prosecute you, and that child may be separated from you, as required by law.”
Since then, reports of babies torn from their mothers’ arms by ICE officers have drawn outrage and widespread calls for an end to the practice.
On Friday -- International Children's Day -- the ACLU, National Domestic Workers Alliance and other groups called a nonviolent national day of action for children, with protests in at least three dozen cities across the United States.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4950
- today: 5165
- online: 194
- total: 6665982