Brasilia, October 26 (RHC)-- Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro says he has asked Defense Minister Fernando Azevedo to keep the Armed Forces on alert in the event of protests in Brazil similar to those taking place in Chile.
"I spoke with the Defense Minister about the possibility of having demonstrations... similar to those happening in Chile," Bolsonaro said and warned that "we are ready to use Article 142 of the Constitution to keep law and order."
The far-right president considers that the law currently in force excludes "social movements" from of the list of legal subjects that could be accused of terrorism.
“In the past they put a comma in the definition of terrorist acts [and left out] social movements. This cannot happen,” Bolsonaro said and added that "if sanctions are tough, such actions will not happen." And Bolsonaro said that Brazil "is not free from having problems similar to Chile."
- RHC's national and international news stories Jan. 28
- Yusuam Palacios: we must continue learning from José Martí to confront and overcome the problems humanity faces today
- RHC's program 'Connecting the dots'
- Notes on the Revolution / Column #62
- RHC's national and international news stories Jan. 27
- 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz: Ksenia Olkhova, a survivor of the Nazis concentration camp, shares her story
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 11930
- today: 5711
- online: 149
- total: 7121992