Rome, Apr 11, (RHC), – Italian ships have rescued almost 1,000 migrants from three overcrowded skiffs near the coast of Libya.
Italy's coast guard said they received a distress call by satellite phone went out on Friday.
The migrants were being taken to ports in Sicily, the coast guard added, without giving details of their nationalities.
Refugees and migrants from the Middle East and Africa regularly risk the hazardous journey between Libya and Sicily to reach the European Union.
- RHC's program 'Connecting the Dots'
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba condemns U.S. blockade at UN Human Rights Council
- Frei Betto affirms Cuba is the only country in the region that guarantees its population the rights to food, health, education
- Cuba & Puerto Rico are two wings of the same bird
- Cuban diplomat calls New Constitution a paradigm guaranteeing full enjoyment of all human rights by all Cubans
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 8111
- today: 859
- online: 158
- total: 7390413